Friday, January 23, 2015

It's about the kids.

Again, I find myself reflecting on the one thing that consistently brings me joy and pride...the two little munchkins I refer to as my offspring. Sean and Ireland are always making me smile, and last night, in no way that stood out from the norm for our time together, I had several moments in which I took pause to notice what it is that sets them apart.

I welcomed them back home last night with congratulations and thanks for getting perfect report cards. They wasted no time jumping right back into homework...no questions asked. They like doing well, and they are actually interested in what they are learning. We had a nice time around the table while I cooked up some bbq chicken and pasta for a simple meal for us to enjoy. As they finished up their homework, and I brought the dishes to the table, they both looked at me with a big smile and said, "Thank you, Dad!". Genuinely appreciative for every meal, my kids never forget to say thank you...even to me. I'm so proud that they have a sense of gratitude for the little things we all tend to take for granted. I normally have them clear the table and load the dishwasher but last night I decided to get up and do it myself, having promised them that we could watch a movie together while having dessert. As I started to rinse the dishes off, they both said, "Thank you for doing the dishes, Daddy", the same way I say it to them when they do it.

I'm doing something right here.

We all sat down to watch a movie together, and had some brownie sundaes, and Ireland got up from the couch to get herself a glass of water. As she stood up, she looked at my glass, saw it was full, then looked over at her brother and asked, "Sean, do you want a glass of water or milk or anything?"

"No thanks," he replied.

I couldn't help but say "so polite" to myself under my breath. At this point, although this is how they always behave, I realized that these two are really very sweet, to each other and to those around them. They love life and have fun, and they almost never complain about anything including chores or school, unless they are actually sick.

The kicker was when we were picking out the movie...Sean wanted to watch Guardians of the Galaxy, and it would have been unanimous but for Ireland's hesitation not understanding that it was actually a comedy she would end up enjoying. I asked her if there was some form of goods or services Sean could provide to her to get "his way" with the choice that night. She thought for a second, and excitedly turned to him and asked, "can I sleep in your bunk bed tonight?"

Sean let slip a little smile out of the corner of his mouth and said "Sure!" He almost always denies her request to share the bedroom every time they are with me...giving in on the occasional weekend night, or special event. But he didn't seem too upset about it last night. They know how to compromise, and that's an important thing to learn in life.

I had a hard time not wanting to just crawl into bed and go back to sleep with them this morning.




This is what good kids look like. I am a lucky dad. 

No comments: