Monday, May 14, 2012

Just because...

There aren't too many things more contagious than a slurpee on a hot day. Say what you will about a yawn, the flu, or any number of STD's that I have been so blessed as to avoid...there is just something irresistible about seeing a slurpee being sucked down through a neon colored straw, pursed between a pair of lips that are both smiling and frowning at the same time, (which is hard to do considering the natural formation of the sucking lips is a frown), revealing itself in the eyes of the inner child that holds the cup. It doesn't matter how many years have gone by since you had your first sip, slurpees don't get old. It doesn't matter how many brain freezes you have experienced, you will go back for more. And it doesn't matter how shitty of a day you or someone else close to you may have had...the coca-cola with slight cherry-infused slurpee will consistently take the edge off just a little bit...typically enough to drag a smile out from within, where you may have forgotten that you left it a while back.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Best post ever. Totally blasted me back to childhood. On warm days growing up in So Cal, my Dad would take me and my sibs to the library to read and then we'd all walk to get Slurpees. I don't remember ever getting a Slurpee with my mom...only dad. It was something he did with us without really thinking about it - unbeknownst to him, he created the most amazing childhood memory for me and my sibs. To this day, none of us can put a Slurpee to our lips without thinking of him.

mohap247 said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I love slurpees. A girl can dream.

Thanks for sharing!

UbuntuStay said...

Lool! that comment about brain freezing was so funny and true.. made me lol, thanx :)