Wednesday, December 21, 2011

'Tis the season

My kids entered a coloring contest recently. It was put on by The Plumbing Doctor here in Reno, and was a stay-between-the-lines kind of deal where they color a plumbing truck. The reward was a $100 gift card to Toys R Us. Needless to say, after finishing their work a couple of weeks ago, they asked me every time they came over if they won, and I would answer, "I don't know" for the first few days, thinking to myself "I better mail those in!" Well, I did, and sure enough, I got an email last week letting me know that Sean and Ireland BOTH won the contest, and I would be getting a gift card soon.

They were pumped, to say the least.

Tonight, on the way to Toys R Us, to redeem the reward as an early Christmas treat (they could pick out their presents, but they don't get them for another 4 days...I have to regulate a LITTLE BIT), we talked about how lucky the two of them are, and how fortunate they are to have so many good things in their lives. They agreed. When I mentioned that there are kids out there that won't even get presents this Christmas because their mommies and daddies are more worried about making sure they have food to eat and a bed to sleep in, they asked more questions. They asked how this happens, and all I could do was get them to the conclusion that we all need to look out for each other; not all of us are so fortunate.

Well, they didn't take any convincing, it turns out...they decided that they would take half of their gift card and find something for themselves, and take the other half and find a couple of nice presents for a little girl and a little boy to enjoy this Christmas. Ireland found the most awesome singing Barbie doll she could, and Sean found a cool combo pack of soccer ball, football and basketball for a little boy to have some fun with. We located the local Toys for Tot's representative, and lucky for us it wasn't too late to make a difference. They humbly presented their gifts to the man, who was almost as impressed as I was with my little stud muffins and their generosity.

It should go without saying on this blog and anywhere else that you might find me expressing myself:


I LOVE THESE KIDS SO MUCH MY HEART WANTS TO EXPLODE OUT OF MY CHEST!


I needed this tonight.

Always.

Thanks, Munchkins. You make me so proud.



6 comments:

Zack Sheppard said...

Wow now that is an awesome Cristmas story. Merry Christmas Sean and Ireland and Mr. Brian!

"I LOVE THESE KIDS SO MUCH MY HEART WANTS TO EXPLODE OUT OF MY CHEST!"

Prove it.

Brian said...

Umm...would the actual exploding of my heart be evidence? Not sure, other than my blog and stuff, how to prove it. Maybe I could hire a plane to write "I love Ireland and Sean" in the sky? Oh wait, I think you pay by the letter...so maybe "I <3 I+S" ??

Miss you, Z.

mohap247 said...

What a LOVELY post. PLEASE do not take this challenge of the whole heart exploding thing...cause I really love you and want you to stay safe and secondly... ewww... too messy.

Pri said...

This warmed my heart so much. Thank you for sharing this story, and thank you for teaching your beautiful children to share. You should be that proud!

'tricko said...

GREAT story. THAT's what Xmas is about, for sure . . .

Brian said...

Mo, Pri, 'Trick...thanks for the love. These kids are the best.