Friday, November 18, 2011

Just a quick apocalyptic post...

In case you haven't already heard, there has been a fire burning around approximately 2,000 acres along the hillsides of Reno since a little after midnight. The white smoke and devastating heat sneaking down the canyons and occasionally igniting the homes that line the canyons in the neighborhood I grew up in, the streets my loved ones live in...many of them evacuated from their houses since the early hours of the morning. Fortunately no one I know has lost anything besides sleep so far, but many have lost their homes already. I watched the smoking black frame of a house on Pioneer Drive send white clouds into the air this afternoon, shocked that this was happening, and resisting the temptation to think of this as some kind of nightmare that would get worse. Fortunately, it appears to be slowed from progress, if not even reportedly 1% contained. I just saw a social media update with the word "rain" in it, and I can only hope and pray that it was true, and that the sky will open up and make it stop.

As if any of us needed a reminder: everything can change in the blink of an eye. 



1 comment:

mohap247 said...

Devestating. I am So thankful that everyone is safe and that the wind has died down. Praying for thep people who lost property and the family of the man who died. Thank you for sharing Bri