Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Man Was Born


So it' your birthday, and I just wanted to drop a little note to say something appropriate. Truth be told, it's an impossible task, but one worth striving for...we should always hope for the best and try our hardest, give it our all, and smile along the way. Those are some lessons you taught me, Uncle Mark. And while I doubt that there are any words I can put together to adequately reflect what an important man, role model, friend, confederate, oft-partner-in-crime, uncle, great-uncle, mentor, psychotherapist, bear-hunting-tour-leader, co-star in Chuck-Norris-Like wilderness action movies, and just all around fucking badass you are, I will always do my best, I will always know that I can do better, and I will TRY my best to remain humble, because at the end of the day, that's exactly what you are: you are both the best man, and the most humble at the same time. You are selfless, respectful, kind, gentle, and yet you have the heart of a lion. The lessons I have learned and those that I continue to learn from watching you, Mark, are what this life is all about for me. Thanks, man. I love you.


11 comments:

'tricko said...

Great tribute to a great man, Bri'

Anonymous said...

Wow,this brings a tear to my eye. How nice to share this with him and everyone else. A wonderful birthday gift! Love, Auntie Ro

mohap247 said...

2 thumbs up to this one. Love it!

Ellen said...

couldn't have said it better...MARK , you are amazing!

Erin said...

I love this man so much.

Anonymous said...

I don't really understand all the hype. Okay, he might be an alright guy maybe I love him just because he's my blood. but amazing? a great man? c'mon puleeeeeeassssssssssssssse

In simple terms:

He's just 1 in a million and I love him to death

Brian said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Anonycommenterbloodrelative. What's all this "one in a million talk" about!?

Amazing: yup.
Great man: the best, I believe I said already.

But I'm pickin' up on your sarcasm, and I like it.

Mark's worthy of a much more fitting tribute than this meager post. My only fear is that I am not worthy to deliver it.

But I'll get over it. He's still a book to be written.

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute! Mark O'Driscoll is still a book to be written? Whoa, hold the phone! Or somebody hold my leg....or my ass

And you will get over what? I'm still unclear...

cry me a river and get my violin

Brian said...

I'll get over my worries that my post was short of what I believe it deserves. Kinda tongue in cheek, but also real. Hope I have clarified.

But let me know where you store that violin, and I'll go grab it. I love the violin.

Anonymous said...

For some reason or other I think you know where that violin is stored.

YOU took the bait.

I despise annoymity, totally forgot to sign my name, however I'm finding it kind of fun. Catch me if you can. sick, I know. Shall I send you clues?

Brian said...

Heck yeah I did, and I agree, kinda fun.

Clues. Yes.