Monday, April 18, 2011

7 weeks

Everybody moves at their own pace. I think there was a time in my life when I actually did pace myself, I was uber organized, I had a plan. Nowadays I just go. I know that having a plan and working it is the most efficient way, and I really DO have an outline, but I tend to just put my nose down and go, and hope that the limited amount of wisdom and experience I have racked up steers me clear of the obstacles that have tripped me up or knocked me down in the past. My plan is actually to get back to the plan. In the meantime, now, I'm running.

I started training a couple of months ago for this marathon I'm supposed to run in 7 weeks. I, along with several other members of my family, are going down to San Diego for the "Rock and Roll" marathon, where we will participate in some fashion in honoring and remembering my dad, who ran that and many other marathons in his youthful, jocular later years. Most of the chatter I hear is about the half marathon, which is a feat, to be sure. Beccy, for one, has a training schedule printed up that she shared with me yesterday, that lays out a schedule for 6 weeks and ramps one up for a halfie. That's great, and I've taken a look at it. It might be good for me to consider that although I intended to do the full, I injured myself a month ago and couldn't run for a few weeks, so a half is much more realistic. It might be good for me to also take into consideration that although I have quit drinking and I have been doing Crossfit, I still haven't completely broken myself of the occasional cigarette...I am certainly doing better than the pack a day I was putting down 4 months ago, but I'm just making an honest inventory of the conditions here, and as of today, I'm still lighting them up semi-regularly. That being said, I finally got back on the trail yesterday, and knocked out 5 miles, and felt pretty decent, having taken it at a slow pace. Wasn't really hacking or wheezing on the run...got a taste of it later in the day, but it wasn't horrible.

I've googled "7-week-marathon-training", and come up with a bunch of chat from professionals who are strongly against it, using such language as "stress fracture", and "just plain stupid". Those guys are pretty hard core runners, though, and what they don't know about me is that I really don't like to run. It's actually one of my least favorite activities, to be honest. So I think I'm going to just go ahead and make up my own 7 week program, and go with that. If I end up hurting myself, or I have to suck up my pride and do a half on June 5th, so be it. But as many people who know me can attest, I tend to (right or wrong), do things at my own pace. I do things my way.

And I'm doing this fucking run for a guy that always did things his own way, too, so I think my plan is just fine.

9 comments:

Ellen said...

....remember, you are not invincible. a half sounds better to me, your mother, who wants to see you live a long time....love you big ole boy

Brian said...

Oh sheesh...does this imply that running a long distance will decrease my life expectancy? Ridiculous.

mohap247 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mohap247 said...

Hi Bri! I am doing the half on the same day as you guys in San Diego (but me in CHCH). I too signed up originally for the full... but unfortunately, I think your cigarettes equate to the same decreased lung capacity as our liquifaction... so needless to say I swapped to the 1/2.
You are a super stud...but I think you should just see how you go on the day. DOING the run is what we are doing in memory of dad...it is the thought, not the distance. Plus he is probably staring down saying "ya know Bri...when in doubt, just call Bitner" HAHAHHAH Love you!

Brian said...

Yeah, thanks fam...in case you missed the post, I'll just go ahead and do whatever I want in this case. We'll see what happens. Maybe injury, maybe failure, maybe great success, maybe mediocrity. Probably not death. Probably.

Erin said...

hahahahhahahahahahahah. I like these comments. I like your approach. I like your mental endurance, because honestly, that is what is going to get you the furthest! I am just going to do what I can do, run what I can, walk what I can, and enjoy every thought and memory that will go through my head during.

Brian said...

FINALLY...Erin comes through with the save on this one. Thanks, Er. It'll be good. I like your attitude, too!

Xian said...

There was a time in my life where I just went, now as I get older I am getting more organized and more anal about being organized. Hah!

Brian said...

That's funny, Xian, because that was my same curve, too. It's just on it's way back up. Thanks for stopping by.