Sunday, February 6, 2011

Snake


So if you haven't yet picked up the latest edition of GQ Magazine, I'll fill you in on one of my favorite little "bits" from this month's "25 Coolest Athletes of All Time" feature. There is a column on Kenny Stabler, who was possibly the coolest redneck known to the 1970's. Describing a playoff game against Baltimore, former coach John Madden was quoted as saying, "We were between the first and second overtime, and we've got the ball. So Kenny and I are standing face-to-face, and I'm talking fast, spitting out formations, play calls, changing my mind: 'Maybe we should do this, run that.' And Kenny's facing me, but he's also looking past me into the stands. He says, 'You know what, John?' And I think he's gonna tell me a play he thinks we should run, so I say 'Yeah, Snake*, what is it?' And he goes, 'These fans sure got their money's worth today.' Then he just goes out there and throws a touchdown pass to Dave Casper to win the game."


*Yeah, that's right, they fucking used to call him "Snake".

Snake is my spirit animal for the week.

No comments: