Sunday, January 23, 2011

Passion

pas·sion

[pash-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
1.
any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.
2.
strong amorous feeling or desire; love; ardor.
3.
strong sexual desire; lust.
4.
an instance or experience of strong love or sexual desire.
5.
a person toward whom one feels strong love or sexual desire.
6.
a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire foranything: a passion for music.
7.
the object of such a fondness or desire: Accuracy became apassion with him.
8.
an outburst of strong emotion or feeling: He suddenly brokeinto a passion of bitter words.
9.
violent anger.
10.
the state of being acted upon or affected by somethingexternal, esp. something alien to one's nature or one'scustomary behavior ( contrasted with action).
11.
( often initial capital letter ) Theology .
a.
the sufferings of Christ on the cross or His sufferingssubsequent to the Last Supper.
b.
the narrative of Christ's sufferings as recorded in theGospels.
12.
Archaic . the sufferings of a martyr.
Origin:
1125–75; ME (< OF) < ML passiōn- (s. of passiō ) Christ'ssufferings on the cross, any of the Biblical accounts of these (> lateOE passiōn ), special use of LL passiō suffering, submission, deriv.of L passus, ptp. of patī to suffer, submit; see -ion

pas·sion·ful, adjective
pas·sion·ful·ly, adverb
pas·sion·ful·ness, noun
pas·sion·like, adjective


1. See feeling. 6. fervor, zeal, ardor. 9. ire, fury, wrath, rage.


1. apathy.







This isn't about the obvious. It's about reading deeper into the meaning. Such is life.

4 comments:

mohap247 said...

Bri,
I am assuming as you say to in this blog... that this is for me. you need therapy... I am not only married, but I am also your sister.
ps- as Mary Katherine would say "I don't like you like that"

Brian said...

It's about all of us!

One of the definitions...whether it's love or anger or desire or rage...

And if you don't fit one of those definitions, the antonym is right there on the bottom.

And no, Mo...thank you for your wit...this is really about the "royal we", dude.

Erin said...

I disagree that apathy is the opposite of passion. I think if you are raging in any sort of anger, justifying it by calling it passion is also a mistake. Passion is an incredibly powerful word, but I believe you can be passionate and have self control. - two cents from the peanut gallery

Brian said...

Erin-

I appreciate the dialogue, but I think that you are confusing what is simply a definition with your own personal beliefs. But that's why I said "it's about reading deeper into the meaning". Looks like you are doing so.

I never said anything about what this means to me...only that it means something.

And this word CAN work within your confines, as, you will notice: there are 12 definitions herein. And, in my opinion, Apathy is the exact opposite.

I have to call that out because I believe that apathy is worse than any form of rage or love, whether good or bad. Apathy is the problem, more often that not.

On that note, Er Bear, I'm out of coffee in the office. Please know that my love for coffee will turn into rage for it's absence, and this is not something to be apathetic about. *ahem*