Saturday, January 8, 2011

Finding mine

In case you haven't noticed, this blog has a theme.

We all live in our own personal symphony, and we all have a theme of our own. The cadence and tone of our themes tend to rise and fall according to our own journeys, struggles, triumphs, rights of passage, our losses...our Love.

And yes, the variation on my theme that you may notice dancing it's way into the last few weeks of my posting has, in fact, been laced with the melodic tones of love, hope, promise, and grace. The pink moon on the horizon has settled over my window and it plays a beautiful song just for me. I stare out at it, I listen, I swoon.

Music speaks to us in a universal language. Perhaps that's why I find it to be so relevant to every aspect of my life. I don't think I could live in a place without it. A sad world where Stevie can't tell me with such conviction that we can work it out. A hopeless world in which I can't hear Ray explain how I can hold you in my arms. A cold, emotionally barren world where Kenny didn't in fact celebrate you home. Music is always playing for me. It's either in the air, or in my head, or in my heart. It's in the car with my kids and me as we rock out from place to place. It's in the headphones right now as I write. It speaks to me constantly. Some of it is as old as my first memory, and it reminds me of times that have shaped me from the core. Some of it is a new, beautiful gift, forming the soundtrack to the life that I want to live, the life where:

Any minute now, my ship is coming in...I'll keep checking the horizon, and I'll stand on the bow, and feel the waves come crashing, come crashing down, down, down on me.

And you say, "Be still my love. Open up your heart. Let the light shine in. Don't you understand? I already have a plan. I'm waiting for my real life to begin."


The variation on my theme may change and grow, stumble and struggle to find rhythm sometimes, but it moves forward like a symphony. And I like the tune...I am starting to hear it more clearly every day. It reveals itself to me in small, beautiful movements. It wasn't written by me...it was given to me. It is still being given to me, to all of us, every day. And right now, there is finally something new in MY music that I am picking up on: Harmony.



4 comments:

CF said...

Music has always held special meaning for me too. I'm so happy we have this in common. I've always loved the quoted song, never realizing all the meaning it would hold for me now. Harmony. Love you.

Anonymous said...

This is really beautiful, Bri.
-ME

Brian said...

Thanks, ME...who are YOU?

mohap247 said...

I agree with ME.
-MED